Thursday, July 26, 2007

Debates (past & future) and Birthday Wishes Come True

Once again, life has been distracting me from the campaign trail. Kitchen renovation first, then Harry Potter. But after staying up until 4am the other night, I am done. I'm back in the world of Muggles, and our silly election! (BTW: It was worth loosing a night of sleep. LOVED it!!)

So, first, the debate. I wasn't convinced it was a good idea to partner with YouTube, but in the end I guess I enjoyed it. I didn't learn anything new but it was sure interesting to see how the candidates handled certain things. The biggest criticism of the debate in our crowd was that we couldn't see the ads on the large screen TV; why didn't they show them full screen?

I was with a bunch of friends from UNH, most of whom are Edwards supporters or leaning that way. We were joined by the Presidentof the UNH College Democrats, Laura Jones. What made the debate really fun was her interjections of who she's met, what the candidates are like in person or on the phone, and what their staffs were like, and how she gets to introduce them at events. Her hug from Obama, her photo with Edwards, etc, Richardson's staff calling her to do an event on May 5th (Cinco de Mayo). Seems like they didn't see a conflict (maybe you have to work on a college campus to appreciate that). Or someone else who chose a Saturday of a big football game. The rest of us pitched in when we could (my feverish Kucinich encounter always gets a good laugh posted earlier this winter). A few plans are in the works for fall which I am not at liberty to share but I'm hoping to score Cate Edwards. AND, the wheels are turning as to how to cause some ruckus at the Republican Debates, now scheduled for UNH in September! (Thanks, Kim for getting that. Let me know where you need me!)

Other quick thoughts? Best tie: Dodd (love polka dots). Best ad: Edwards of course. I can't get the HAIR song out of my head!! Best spouse is always Elizabeth Edwards (the only other wife I saw was the lovely & tall Mrs. Kucinich). Worst question: teaching kids about sex using medically necessary terms. TOO much information!!

But moving right along...this weekend is starting to look NUTS. Edwards is all over the state (both of them), and he's coming to my city on Saturday at 5pm. Downtown Dover!! Since Friday is my birthday, I am thinking of this as my own personal birthday gift. Thanks, Mike Alfoni & staff, for the gift. Happy Birthday to you, too.