Monday, July 16, 2007

Richardson in Dover

Last night I ran into an acquaintance at the grocery store, and talk turned (as it always does) to candidates. We both were planning on seeing Richardson the next afternoon. She said, with all the confidence in the world, "I heard that Richardson is going to be running with Hillary." No attempt was made to say "if she's the nominee" or "maybe he'll be her running mate." No...it was "he's running with her." Ooo, there's nothing that I hate more in a campaign than the assumption that you've got it all wrapped up!

So, that brings me to today, Monday, when Bill Richardson rolled into Dover NH for a house party. I was walking alone up the driveway when his SUV pulled in, right next to me. It was at the lovely home of former mayor Will Boc, in his sun-dappled back yard. And since I walked into the yard just before him, I ended up being in the front row of specators. Richardson got right up on the patio with Mayor Boc, and Boc did a short intro before turning things over to the candidate.

He did the typical shortish speech then questions. He paid more attention (homage) to the local and state dignitaries in the crowd than any candidate I've ever seen. He also cracked more jokes, too, and they were actually funny. (One was a well-deserved jab at the size of our state legislature.) In person, he looks thinner than on TV, and he has handsome dimples when he smiles. But he looked a bit crumpled (photo to come). No cowboy boots this time; penny loafers instead! He apoligized for being late, and he was only 15 minutes past the posted start time--which is impressive--then blamed the bridge traffic we've all learned to avoid when coming to Dover from Portsmouth at 5pm.

He spent some time saying how he's not the pet of the pundits, the big fundraiser, or the glamorous "blow-dried" candidate but never mentioned opponents by name (which I liked). His answers were fine; not as detailed as I prefer, but fine. Seemed to take most questions from men or press or local big wigs, but of course there was the one obligatory question from a kid, which he saved for last. Another first was that he had note cards at first (see photo) apparently to remember names of local dignitaries, and at one point toward the end, asked an aid to tell him which of his five points he forgot. Which brings me to the staff: I spotted all men, young & geeky, and all wearing ties. They didn't mingle or collect names & emails. The sign up sheet our front was voluntary (unlike HRC & BO, who required it for admission).

I hung out a bit and after some photo requests got my handshake. Short & quick, no chatter, little eye contact. Unmemorable. He engaged more with the folks who were wearing nametags, especially those with their credentials listed on them.

He did well overall except for the obvious kissing up stuff, and I think he moved up in my own pecking order. But honestly, I think he'd make a great Secretary of State! But not a VP...he's too much of a diplomat to waste those skills on being VP no matter who that nominee may be.