Friday, November 30, 2007

Delivery Van



More on the mushroom signs popping up everywhere. I saw my first Biden sign today on my way to work.

I've been feeling badly that I just can't take a lot of evenings off to volunteer in the Dover Edwards office, and have been trying to find ways I can be of help without leaving the kids behind. I found a way to alleviate my guilt yesterday, when a friend and colleague asked me for an Edwards lawn sign. Since I drive by the office 2x a day, I offered to pick it up after work & deliver it to his house.

So, after daycare pick up, the twins & I invaded Stafford County HQ in Dover. By now the kids know my pre-entry lecture: people are on the phone, quiet voices, etc. They go right to the back, to the Regional Field Coordinator's desk. They know where the stickers are and don them (upside in Annie's case). They also know where the toys and candy can be found. I mentioned that we were just grabbing a sign, and lo & behold, there's a list of Doverites waiting for signs. Maps, print-outs, signs are produced and me & my posse are off to play delivery van.

Each kid held a map though they have no idea how to read them. I navigated Dover's dark and wet roads. Now I understand the first responders' lament for visible numbers on houses!! We only delivered a handful of signs, but I insisted that I ring doorbells & hand the sign over after confirming that they did in fact request one.

In the minivan, Griffin insisted on holding his lawn signs up in his window, "so everyone knows to vote for John Edwards and no more guns (war)." I tried in vain to explain that there's more to his candidacy than ending the war, but he's sort of a one issue voter.

The very last delivery was the only one where the owners weren't home. Griffin climbed out of the van to ring the doorbell anyway. After we left the sign by the door, he buried his face in my coat. I thought he had hurt himself with the sign or tripped. No, he was crying quietly. He didn't want to part with the last sign. I had to promise more deliveries, and that he'd be able to hold on to one for keeps.

I wonder how, when he's older, he's going to remember this campaign...