Friday, November 9, 2007

Where The Boys Are

You may recall a few posts back, I blogged about a conversation at a campaign with a Boston Globe reporter who was observing that all the students in attendance were female (diagram THAT sentence!). Some colleagues and I, along with a few UNH students, chewed on the subject for a while, and all came to the conclusion that this is not only the case at most UNH events, it's becoming the norm at most colleges & universities. But, the question was unanswered: "where are all the guys?"

I FOUND THEM! Friday afternoon, before a long weekend no less, they all seemed to be packed into the Strafford Room of the MUB, listening to Ron Paul. The room was filled to capacity with them. Not your typical clean cut Young Republican types. But averages joes, disheveled fraternity brothers, right along side Free Staters & rabid Ron Paul supporters.

Ron Paul arrived amazingly on time. Actually, as I exited my building at 2:15, I saw him at the base of the MUB driveway, walking up to greet students holding signs. He looked like your average faculty member to me, and I sensed that the students were trying to figure out if it really was him, just walking up the sidewalk with one or two others. He gave a 30 minute talk--not really gifted in rhetoric, but got plenty of supportive nods and occasional applause--then took questions. Not a single specific answer in his arsenal, but loads of one-liners about freedom, civil liberties, etc. One of the biggest applause lines (especially for the Lambda Chi brothers around me) was about making marajuana legal.

At one point, he talked about repealing the 16th Amendment, without saying what it was. Inspired by Kucinich during my visit to DC last month, I actually picked up a pocket copy of the US Constitution and stored it in my purse, so I looked it up (suppressing a giggle). It's about Congress levying income taxes, but I bet the frat brothers didn't know that.

So that's my analysis. He talked over a lot of scruffy nodding heads, spoke about a lot of general principles, and said a whole lot of nothing. I tried to grab a sticker or something for the collection after the event, but they were all out. Sorry, Joe & Marra!


PS: An hour after posting the above info, I left my office to head to my car in Lot B, cutting through the MUB as usual. Who should I run into than Dr. Ron Paul himself, and a very small crowd of supporters! They were standing outside the Strafford Room, and all I caught of the conversation was him saying "we never would have had WWII without WWI." I chuckled, took a picture, and went on my way.

Only in New Hampshire!