Thursday, December 13, 2007

Endorsements

Ah, I love the NH Primary...down one day, up the next! Really...inevitability is so boring!

Yesterday, I was trying to pretend that Carol Shea-Porter's endorsement of Obama didn't matter to me. But I was bummed. I like her, and her politics. I met with members of her staff once, and I like them, too. It's been so nice to finally have a Congressperson in NH whom I respect. Now, I have one with whom I respectfully disagree, too. But that was yesterday.

When I opened my email inbox this morning, it was swimming with emails and press releases: New Hampshire Freedom To Marry Endorses Edwards! Yee ha. I guess I feel a little vindicated after taking those hits from friends & colleagues I mentioned in the last post. Some may think the LGBT community isn't a big voting block, or the endorsement might not be something a candidate would want to flaunt. My experience is that LGBT folks are extremely well educated on the issues, and have a greater tendency than the average person to not only vote, but get involved & volunteer for a candidate. So, while the numbers may (or may not) be big, the endorsement could yield volunteers, canvassers, and donors!!

On the UNH campus, it's day 3 of the Wildcats Vote project. Obama is running away with it on the Dem side (results so far), but that's no surprise. John, the President of the student organization, can't possibly be doing any actual schoolwork these days. He & the group are running shuttles to the Durham Town Hall to register voters and get absentee ballots. They would be well advised to also expend some energy reviewing the campus/residence hall rules regarding solicitation and canvassing, because I hear they are breaking them all and angering some staff. Hillary's team as well. But not UNH for Edwards; they know and are actually following the rules, and that has not gone unnoticed.

No candidates have been around campus, and as finals are approaching, none are expected. It's been a disappointing cycle for me. I never got to see Mitt, or Cate Edwards. Obama only came that one time last winter. Friday is the last day of classes, and the big wrap up of our mock election. Next week the plan is to see Edwards one more time, with Bonnie Raitt & Jackson Browne in Portsmouth (12/19/07).

The end is in sight, and I'm already depressed about that.