Thursday, December 20, 2007

In The Clutch

Family and work life being what they are, I had to make a choice yesterday between seeing John Edwards at noonish with Bonnie Raitt & Jackson Browne in Portsmouth, or at 4pm in Dover. Cate was supposed to join him in Dover, so I decided to save up my vacation time, skip the concert and go to Macintosh, where I was invited to be part of the "clutch," the quickie meet and greet pregame show to thank/reward loyal volunteers.

I showed up early enough to help do some signing in at the door. It was nice to be greeted by Advance Staff with a hug and a personal welcome. They had to break the news that Cate wasn't coming. Bummer, I had a question for her regarding Prof Elizabeth Warren from Harvard Law School! But I tried not to act too disappointed.

Just as I was getting warmed up (literally & figuratively) at the door doing sign-in, I was whisked into a vacant classroom to wait with my fellow clutch groupies. We made chit chat, and there was some good-natured posturing as to who knows the staff best, who's hosted a house party, etc. We all got the Edwards Family holiday card, but only one of us (NOT ME!) was smart enough to bring it for an autograph. All the middle-aged women in the room tried to out-mother the exhausted but upbeat Field Coordinator. And I was relieved that I had, at the last minute, decided not to bring the twins.

What's known around here as "Bridge Traffic" kept our candidate about 45 minutes behind schedule, but eventually he appeared unceremoniously and with a big smile on his face. Clutch was quick as to keep the waiting crowd happy, but I got my handshake. It never fails to impress me. He seems so relaxed, so authentic. I just don't get how anyone can call him a phony.

My plan was to give up my seat for someone who hasn't seen him before, hopefully someone undecided, and hang by the door with the staff. But after everyone was seated there was a seat left next to my friend and colleague, Mark, so I scooted in lest an empty seat caught on tape! It just so happened to be, yes, in the front row.

Mark had just come from the Portsmouth event, which he whispered was awesome. He's a musician so I wasn't sure if he referred to the music or the candidate. Both. And apparently, Senator Edwards was just as passionate & on the mark for us, too. A little story-telling, a little stump speech, a little Q&A.

Each event I've attended has had a slightly different emotional tone to it. This one was full of relaxed humor, confidence, and determination. He wasn't angry as much as driven. But he was very funny. He complimented people on their questions, he laughed at their attempts at humor. There's just no way anyone can fake that level of comfort and spontaneity.

After the event, I hung with Mark so he could get his Newsweek signed. I really wanted a picture with the future president, but since I've had so many chances to meet him, I felt greedy and let others elbow in ahead of me.

Mark got his autograph and I snapped a photo of the moment, then I snuck over to the Volunteer Coordinator and wrote Mark's name and email down on the volunteer clipboard.

Next time there's an event, if there is a next time, I want company in the clutch!