Monday, June 2, 2008

Job Interviews

I got a quick note from a friend in-the-know this morning, that Hillary's Advance staff was being called home, and now I read it from an actual news source, so I guess it must be true (not that I doubted you, my friend, I just felt the need to confirm).

And so, perhaps this primary is finally over.

In a previous job, I did a ton of hiring & supervising of staff, most of whom were students or graduate students. One thing I learned about hiring was this: you can learn the most about a person's true character by how they handle rejection. Inevitably, I would decide not to hire someone after struggling over the decision, wringing my hands and loosing sleep. Then the student would get the rejection letter and prove to me quite clearly that I made the absolute correct decision but getting all unprofessional and inappropriate all over me. And of course as fates usually had it, a new position would later open up and said student would have burned that bridge so thoroughly that what had been a opportunity would become "don't bother applying."

So, Hillary was just handed a big fat rejection letter by the DNC (or maybe she was made an alternate?). While a whole lot of people didn't vote her off the island, the end result was that she will not be getting the job. After what you've seen of her behavior, would you put her on the top of the candidate list for next time?

For all the reasons I've already outlined, I would not. Not yet anyway. Certainly she can redeem herself in the next 2 days in the manner of how she bows out. I do forgive easily if the effort is made and it seems sincere. But to me, she has not been a team player. She put her own needs ahead of the party's, but worse, and she ran a lousy campaign (IMHO). Her surrogates and supporters were/are making all kinds of threats and saying things that aren't nice. She and they have used very twisted logic to make their arguments (especially about Michigan vote being "her victory, fair & square") and in the process lost a lot of my respect, and some of her own dignity. I do hope she can pull that back together.

Looks like we'll have our answer on Tuesday evening.