Thursday, June 5, 2008

A New Campaign

I've started a million posts over the last few days, both in my head and on my actual computer, and have deleted them all because I was just repeating myself. So, my feelings and observations haven't changed in the past week even though so much as been going on in the world.

But what has changed here? The DNC & NHDP have kicked into action. This morning, my neighbor forwarded an email to me announcing the opening of a Dover office. Here's why I found that so wonderful:
  • The office will be at 11 Chestnut Street, which I believe was the old HRC office during the Primary. The "for sale" sign disappeared last week, so I was wondering. Now, I get to drive by every day & report on the action.

  • The email was from the new Dover Field Organizer for NHDP/Shaheen, John Barriere. Ha, I love it! John is an active member of the UNH College Dems, and was the President of UNH For Obama last fall. He was so good at what he did that I was envious of the energy and excitement he was able to create on campus without the benefit of a campus visit by his candidate. John posted on his Facebook page that he was looking for a job so I posted the NHDP Help Wanted info. Voila! (I'm not meaning to take credit; I'm sure I had little to do with it in the end because John is so amazing on his own.)

  • Office opening will be Monday 6/09/2008, 7:30pm, and I have to work until 8pm. So, I'm hoping to swing by and check out the digs on my way home

So when we drove by the building this morning on our way to preschool, I decided to update the kids on the election: Obama won for our team, and Mommy will be supporting him (as will John Edwards). Obama will be going on to the next election against John McCain. That's a new name to them, so I had to offer a quick profile, "He is a Senator, he was a very honorable soldier, and he voted for the war. He likes war." I left out the fact that he does not like two-mom families like ours, or any of the other reasons why Mommy does not like him.

Then I jumped back to HRC to catch them up on the news: "Some people are really sad and angry because they wanted a girl to be president." Then my brilliant 5-year old daughter offered this anaylsis: "I really wanted a girl, too, but I really really don't want guns (war)." So, she had two conflicting values--anti-war and pro-women--and she placed a higher value on the war. I was so proud of her!

I reminded her a bit about who Barack Obama is, especially that he had two little girls. She loved that, and then asked me if they were still little.

Yes, it has been a LONG primary, but not THAT long!

(late updates: just a few interesting items worth viewing, IMHO: From E J Dionne, Talking Points Memo, and of course, Jon Stewart.)