Thursday, June 26, 2008

Unity At Long Last

By now I'm sure you've read or heard about the big upcoming Unity event in Unity, NH. Brilliant, I think. The icing on the cake is, of course, that Hillary & Obama tied in that small NH town, 107 votes each.

But, I won't be there tomorrow (Friday), so I negotiated to get to go to today's event in Manchester instead. It was billed as a Women's Event, featuring Michelle Obama and Gov. Jeanne Shaheen. So, alone, I travelled to Manchester a little later than I would have liked, and arrived by 1pm.

The venue was called The Amory, and it appears to be an old armory annexed by a large hotel, and now used as a very nice, rustic function room. There were about 200 seats, and I took one in the very last row. In front of me was Abby Goldstien from NHPR. I spotted other prominent Dems and activists. I scanned the staff for familiar faces and only recognized two from the old Edwards team.

Just before 1:30pm, Michelle Obama & Jeanne Shaheen were introduced. Michelle did a short prepared speech first. She wore one of her signature "shift" dresses with a cute matching sweater. She was relaxed, and I am happy to say, not overly made-up. And man is she tall! After her, Shaheen spoke (no notes), then they joined four women in a pseudo-View style set up.

Being that I like policy more than the average person, I was a bit bored with the format. I felt that Jeanne Shaheen did an excellent job bringing topics back to talking points, linking some of the issues to her proposals. But you know me, I am not here to report on all that. You can read the papers if you want to know the text.

I decided that I needed to hang out after for a photo or handshake, and am glad I did. There wasn't a huge crowd. First was Shaheen, who seemed to know everyone by name. She really knows this state. After I shook her hand I mentioned that I am loving her daughter's new blog. She beamed like a typical proud parent, and started telling everyone about it. Molly wouldn't do it unless she could be herself, which is what I love about the blog. Her voice is so much like the young people I work with every day, so I find the blog very authentic.

A few moments later, I shook the hand of the the future first lady. She was very at easy, and had a great handshake. Did I mention how TALL she is? The carries herself very well, and is very poised. Impressive.

Before leaving, I was spotted by Susie, now the logistics go-to woman for Shaheen. Just after we had a picture taken together, we got cornered by a WCVB TV (Boston's channel 5) reporter. Given that Susie is a staffer, it was all me. With TV camera rolling and light shining in my face, the reporter asked, "So, were you a supporter of Clinton or Obama?" I knew this was going to be her question, so I was ready with my proud "I was an Edwards supporter, actually." I'm sure I ended up on the virtual editing room floor because I just didn't fit the current headline.
Let's hope that today's Unity event puts that headline to rest, so we can all just move on from this silliness & get down to the serious business of putting Democrats back in the White House & Capitol!