Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Politicking, NH-Style (Part I)

More candidates this way come...

I figured we'd see a little breather after all the parading in front of the Firefighter's Union last week, and with two ex-Presidents in town. But, I would be wrong. Kucinich announced that he'll be in the area on Saturday; Obama Friday & Saturday; and Newt's attending a Victory in NH event 5/21. Now, John Edwards announced a 3-stop visit for Monday, May 21st. What's with MONDAY?? Anyway, I can't possibly keep up posting them all so I kindly refer you to Cosmo again at NH Prez Watch.

And remember my little fun game called spot the staffers? Well, I just played a round, and bingo! Who else around here would come bounding up introducing themselves and shaking hands, getting all in your face and friendly as if this was the mid-west and not New England? Two Obama staffers crashed a luncheon that's held at UNH monthly, called the "Colleagues Luncheon" for staff, faculty, and graduate students of underrepresented groups (of color, LGBT, etc.) just for bonding and networking. I'm sure someone invited them but I'm not sure who. The woman I spoke with said she works on educational issues, and was trying to connect with like minded folks on campus. I mentioned the upcoming visit to Rye, she expressed her excitement. I smiled, nodded, ate my blueberry pie, and went back to talking to the colleagues I went there to catch up with. The end of the semester isn't really a good time to be trying to make new friends on a college campus. Especially here, right before the big upcoming hoo-ha.

Sometimes I forget that this kind of stuff isn't the norm for most colleges or workplaces in the country. It's so much a part of life in NH that I forget. There's a great post on Blue Hampshire today about politicking the New Hampshire way. I highly recommend it!