Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Lame Excuses

When I decided to start this blog, I had no idea that things would be so busy so early. I was just going to comment on candidates I saw on campus where I work (at UNH). But things got really crazy really early, as we all know, and the NH Primary is well underway, even though UNH is out for the summer, and I will soon be off for the summer.

Candidates are all over New Hampshire, but I can't see any of them. Besides having to work, I am also completely wrapped up in a major kitchen renovation that has us devoting most weekends to working on the house, or more accurately, distracting the twins while Stacey & other family members work on the house. I've dragged the kids to a few candidate events, but now that the weather is nicer, all they want to do is dig in the sand at the beach.

So, these are my excuses for not being able to offer more views from my so-called front row seat. I'm working my sources to get to volunteer at the debates next week. I was hoping to get the Democracy Fest the next weekend to see Howard Dean, John Edwards, and others, but that's looking like a no-go. I will have to live with my back-up plan of attending the Edwards' Portsmouth office's opening, and Market Square Day.

The seacoast is teeming with events, candidates, and staffers, and soon interning college students. Obama-mania hit the north country this weekend. Hillary is again in Manchester today, Mitt was at Harvey's bakery in Dover today. [I had just been recommending Harvey's to my pals on the JRE campaign team.] It was there that the patron yelled out that he'd never vote for a Mormon. Classy, huh? And then everyone will be passing through Sunday & Tuesday for the debates at NHIOP, Saint Anselm College.

In other random observations: I have finally spotted my first presidential lawn sign of the cycle!! Two actually, for the same candidate: Ron Paul. That strikes me as funny, I guess because he's not at all considered a serious competitor. But what's really funny is that whenever I see his name in print, I automatically picture RuPaul, the famous black drag queen! I wonder if anyone else had the same association.