Monday, June 4, 2007

Debate Spin

First, let me say I had 3 drafts of posts written and somehow deleted on Friday. So, in my frustration I had to walk away for a few days. I'm having trouble with this one too now...ugh!

Pre-Debate Impressions...
I spent yesterday evening in the rain at the debates, in a fenced in area reserved for "visibility" outside the entrance to the debates. Even though I was holding a John Edwards sign, I did a fair amount of general observations of the crowd. Obama has the youngest age range of all supporters; he's clearly got the college crowd (some might call it the "elite" crowd). Hillary has the younger women for sure. Edwards had more middle age (what does that say about me?) and more working class from what I saw, and Kucinich has the old hippies. Interestingly, Obama didn't have the racial diversity; I saw more of that for Edwards and Dodd.

Debate Impressions...
I watched the actual debate at the Debate Watch Party with Edwards supporters, though I was a tad late due to parking. I liked the format, and thought everyone did well. It's nice to have such a good group to choose from on this side of the aisle, and truthfully would be happy with just about any of them in the end. I loved that they wouldn't go down the hypothecal scenario road, and was psyched at the educational aspect to the answer of "official vs. national language." To me, Hillary & Edwards did best. Obama disappointed (something bugs me about his hand gestures). Richardson is gaining in NH and with me (he did better and didn't sweat this time).
  • Best shoes: Richardson (cowboy boots of course!)
  • Best tie: Obama
  • Best signs: Edwards
  • Best spouse: Edwards

Post-Debate Impressions...
I wish I could have been in the spin room; that's my favorite. I hated being so far away. A bunch of Edwards supporters went back to campus for more sign waving, but I hung out hoping for another handshake eventually, which I got. (STILL impressive in person. So direct with the eye contact & comments, awesome handshake!) The staffers (Paul & Pete) did a great job making sure Edwards thanked everyone personally, which I was grateful for, and Laurie got a big hug from the senator. But there was no rally-the-troops, public thanking the crowd for standing out in the rain, and it sort of all came to a quick, anti-climatic ending.

Last time around, I was at the Gephardt party (not by choice, I was assigned to it). It was mostly attended by Teamsters with a sprinkling of staffers and volunteers. I was expecting more of that. Wherever the Edwards "visibility" bus went, it took all the energy with it. As I drove away, I passed Obamas post-debate party. Since he's now covered by Secret Service, you can't miss him. Black SUVs in front of the bar, line out the door, party inside. I guess that's what happens when you pick the candidate of the middle-aged average folks instead of the hippies or the college crowd. ;-)