Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Father's Day in New Hampshire

No, you're not at the wrong site. I've changed the layout. I felt like my old look was a little dated. And, Team Edwards was using the same template, so I went for a new look. Enjoy!

Since moving to NH in 1988, I've always been a little obsessed with Bike Week here, and I don't think I'm alone. I've never attended, but I've been stuck in related traffic, known lots of friends and family members who go (and a few who get out of town because of it). But my opinion of it really changed for the better when I worked with at UNH guy named Sturgis who was part of the club (not gang, club) Red Emeralds. Any reasonable person would be intimidated by Sturgis upon first meeting him; he was a big burly guy, a non-traditional undergraduate student, 50ish, at the time had a massive blast of crazy curly hair, and owned a beautiful Harley. Intense, sparkling eyes, quiet guy. But underneath the leather, the scruff, and the curls, he was a teddy bear. The loyalest (if that's a word) friend you'd ever find. Sturgis taught me a lot about the biking subculture and his surrogate family. I see bikers so differently thanks to him, and am proud that my home state hosts such an event for their family reunions.

Back to the NH Primary: I posted here a little while ago that I thought a candidate should try to schedule an event near or in Laconia during bike week. Bikers are so diverse--tons of veterans, boomers, parents, retirees, etc. I'm sure traffic alone would scare most staffers away, not to mention perceptions of gangs and guns. Then there's the argument that it's mostly folks from out-of-state. So, who is coming to Meredith NH in person this Friday? Elizabeth Edwards! Ron Paul's fans have his RV, and other candidates (or spouses) will be in Manch, but Meredith? It's not Weir's Beach, but it's damn close. You go, girl!

And Sturgis: if you are out there, Stacey & I would love to see you again someday.
To everyone else, ride safely!