Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Summer in New Hampshire

Things are heating up in New Hampshire, that's for sure.

With summer vacation comes the interns!! New Hampshire is currently getting an influx of out-of-state students who have arrived to work or volunteer for their favorite candidate. And I've had my first official knock at the door...the winner is Obama. A polite young man arrived to our chaotic household in Dover at exactly 5pm, just as my family and I were about to sit down for dinner. Not just any dinner, but our first one back in our home since the major kitchen renovation and addition. So, I didn't even have fun questioning him on his candidate or where he was from.

And just when I was beginning to think on people in Iowa are getting calls, the first call came yesterday: a tie between Obama & Clinton. Let me explain. This isn't my first call exactly. The Edwards campaign called me months ago to invite me to a house party and now I get calls from them all the time. But yesterday a random call came for me (asked for me by name, or Stacey) and asked me if I had decided, and if so, who I was supporting. I told her of my decision to volunteer with the Edwards staff and she seemed to get a bit terse, and asked for Stacey who wasn't available, and for whom I would never speak.

I say the call was "random" because caller ID showed a private citizen's home phone number with a 603 area code, but the caller said she was from the Clinton campaign. After the call, I reviewed all my recent incoming calls and found one from "Obama, for Amer" had come earlier in the day, but I wasn't there to pick up & they left no message.

Hopefully, things will calm down in my household enough for me to engage these callers and visitors a bit more. Like visiting Mormoms, they are fascinating to me and like to ask questions of them and learn what brought them to my street. (Poor Mormon Missionaries always seem so hot and unable to deal with our humidity, AND my two-mom family.) I would like to have a chance to find out what they like about their candidates if possible...and have a little fun!