Monday, June 11, 2007

Retail Politics, NH Style (Part II)

When I began this blog my goal was to see every candidate (left, right & center) that came to my corner of New Hampshire, and if possible attend a House Party. House parties are a tradition in the Granite State and they are, basically, what they sound like--a casual party at someone's home--except that a candidate for US President comes by and talks to the crowd, then takes questions. I've always thought these events were reserved for the well-connected, maybe donors or those who are members of certain organizations or unions, and the local press. I signed up for emails from several campaigns just to see if I can get myself on a house party list. Only one campaign has reached out, not just once but several times now.

So, that's how I ended up meeting John Edwards again, (Oh no, I'm becoming one of those activist groupies that GraniteProf makes fun of in his book!) last Friday, June 8th. Edwards' house parties are posted on-line as open to the public (as are some other campaigns' but not all), but I also have received numerous direct emails encouraging me to attend, sometimes followed up by personal phone calls from staffers, not phone banks! This time, I forwarded the email to a bunch of friends and showed up in Rochester with a minivan full of friends & colleagues.

You can read the quotes in the local press about what was said. I prefer to blog on other impressions like the crowd, the venue, etc. So first: the location. Nice new subdivision in Rochester at the home of Tyler Collins, a UNH student who is interning with the campaign. His parents have a perfect-for-photo-op front porch which they decked out in patriotic bunting & signs. They put out a lovely buffet spread too, which was nice since my friends and I were skipping our lunch hours to attend. Gorgeous day, perfect outdoor setting.

Now, the crowd. Lots of teachers (judging from the questioners who mentioned their day-jobs). Not more than 100 people is my guess, so it felt really intimate and personal. NH State Senator Jackie Cilley was front & center, and she asked the lead off question. It's clear that Edwards really wants her endorsement. My assessment about age range (from debate crowd last week) still stands: middle age and up, a mix of blue & white collar folks. Fans & converts alike (he doesn't just preach to the converted, I've learned). He stayed to shake every hand and pose for photos, which is how my friends and I got so many silly pictures. And how I got an autographed sign. He was casual and personable, and so was his staff. They look like they are really enjoying themselves, and they aren't so self-important or stressed out that they can't make small talk. Edwards is clearly not over-handled this time around (thank goodness!), and is probably very lucky that he does not yet have secret service coverage.

Thanks for the invitation. Now my next goal, which I've made clear to whomever will listen: when my home renovation project is done, I want to HOST a House Party!