Monday, August 27, 2007

Bus Tour, Grand Finale

The John Edwards Bus Tour finally made its way to the Seacoast this weekend, and I decided to catch up with it at the final stop, in Portsmouth.

First let me say I expected the staffers to look like hell, honestly. Or at least to look like they have hardly slept because I know they haven't. But they didn't. Not in the least. They were as bright eyed as always, friendly too. Cheerful, helpful with the kids, eager to sign folks up.

I confess I didn't hear too much of the actual event because I had the kids again. So if you need the real rundown, visit Blue Hampshire or the JRE NH site. Lately, my twins seem to be able to sit still and entertain themselves for about 4 minutes (I think it's these outdoor events that give the illusion that this is a garden party). Anyway, I hung in the back with them & their pal, and the staffers, mostly to allow the other parents the chance to really listen without their daughter interrupting them, too. That's how I got this shot of the 3 kids alone in front of the bus.

What I did catch was great, of course. John Edwards was wearing his signature faded blue jeans and white button down shirt. (No blazer, too hot!) Excellent questions, thorough answers. Great sized crowd, beautiful location. Lots of families on blankets or in lawn chairs; Elizabeth noted in her introduction how many Voters In Training were there as her own bolted off stage. I still contend that this is really the most kid-friendly candidate, and campaign!
The funniest moment of the event for me was when a sailboat in the harbor was passing right behind Senator Edwards. It was going under the Memorial Bridge. I wish I had gotten a picture: the flag on the boat was a black skull & crossbones. Was it not fitting that a pirate ship was in the background as JRE's talking about taking back the government, how the constitution has been hi-jacked during the Bush years?? Aye, maties!
Anyway, Elizabeth stole the show for me. She looked terrific in a green sweater that was one of those greens that almost no one can pull off (well, certainly not me!). She did look better than the last two times I've seen her up close--sporting a new haircut which is very flattering. She looks so comfortable in her own skin, well rested & unhurried; impressive for someone finishing up a bus tour, never mind someone with cancer too! I mananged to pass off the kiddos to get my book autographed by Elizabeth at the end. Staffers urged me not to be shy & nudged me in. She was chit-chatting in such a relaxed manner as she signed posters and posed for photos. Everyone was complimenting her penmanship (great, consistent slant, lovely lines & curves). She makes her capital E just like my 8th grade English teacher did, and I've been trying to emulate them since 1978! She remarked that she often gets asked if she attended catholic schools (no, military schools mostly overseas). I also used the opportunity to tell her what a terrific group of young people they have on staff in the state, and how they are such a good refleciton of the values and heart of the candidate. Of course, she agreed. Then she was gently shuttled back to the tour bus.
And we got back into our wagon and headed back to Dover. A few folks took pictures of our Wagon Tour For One America wagon on the way out. If you caught that, send me the picture.