Thursday, August 9, 2007

My Obsession with Signage


I know it's silly, but I do have an obsession with political signs & bumper stickers. I love them, I collect them. Many have a place of honor in my office, and some in my home, underneath drywall & insulation, for posterity. And, of course, my only autographed sign is right next to me as I type.


This entry is about office signage, particularly with the Hillary office in Dover. It's making me crazy!!

I drive down Chestnut Street in Dover four or five times a day. This road is home to both the Hillary & the Edwards campaign offices for the region. They are about a half mile apart. Since Hillary moved into town, I've noticed something odd with her signs. Sometimes they are up, sometimes not. Sometimes they are on the chain link fence around the building, sometimes they are on the wooden railing on the steps or ramp, or on the door. Yesterday, one was in the road. Today, there were 4 of one type (basic Hillary sign) and one of another ("Clinton Country"). Sometimes there are 5 of them, sometimes fewer. Most days they are one way when I leave town and another way when I come back through an hour or so later. Never are they in the windows hung from inside; always out in the elements. Always regular cardboard campaign signs. Nothing signifying the building as the HQ, so you could easily think it's just the home of an extreme supporter (like the humungous Ron Paul sign on Silver Street). Make up your mind, before I lose mine!!

What else is new in the Granite State? Lots of traffic, but I'm sorta in low gear until school starts up. Then I can see everyone in the MUB at UNH without having to fight traffic or drag the kids along.