Monday, May 19, 2008

The Money Game

So, I finally finished tracking down all my Primary Pals now working in DC, and now they might be unemployed again. Progressive Media USA is making headlines instead of trying to shape them, and that has a few people worried.

Of course, I wish we didn't need these 527s to do the dirty work either. And I think it's very noble of Obama to want to distance himself from them or to keep a tight grip on them, lest he be considered "impotent," as McCain has been called for not getting an inappropriate ad pulled. (note to media: enough of the testicular references already!) But after the whole Swiftboat thing in 2004, it seems prudent to have something ready & up your sleeve, just in case. You can bet McCain isn't telling anyone to stop donating anything! Oh, contraire! I just hope they lie low for a while, let this pass, and quietly continue to put together some great yet appropriate (policy-based, not personally-based) anti-McCain ads. And I continue to hope that donors quietly continue to support their awesome cause. And, just one request for PM USA: don't fire your best tracker!!

On a related note, Rep. Carol Shea-Porter, D-NH, has decided to accept funding from DCCC. (it's related because a few campaign retirees are now employed there, I believe.) I know how badly she wanted to stay independent, and pull off another victory in her homegrown, grass-rootsy way. But she needs the money (because she is representing constituents like me who have no money to spare), and we need her to stay in Congress. I hope Team Obama will eventually see that writing on the wall as well.