Thursday, May 1, 2008

Still Up Front!

It's been a while, but today I managed another unexpected front row seat! Hamilton Smith room 127, to be exact.

I was scheduled to do a 3-5 minute information session on my programs at the university (Prelaw Advising, National Student Exchange, and The Washington Center for Internships), for Prof. Chris Reardon's POLT 403 class, US in World Affairs. When I arrived before class, who was standing in the halls of Hamilton Smith Hall with Chris other than former NH Gov. Jeanne Shaheen! She was the guest lecturer for the class for the day, rather unexpectedly. Handshake & introduction...by the way, we'll get you some UNH interns when you are in Congress. Embarrassingly, I did succumb to name drop, and the Gov responded with "Oh, actually, today is Susie's birthday?" So, I was happily bumped to the end of the class, and went back to my office.

Then I realized that it would be beneficial to hear her lecture so I can make direct connections to TWC and my pitch for students. Back I went, and snuck into the class, sitting next to Prof. Reardon on the side of the classroom by the door.

The lecture seemed mostly to focus on US foreign policy in the middle east and the war in Iraq. The question & answer period, however, was all over the place. The students did not disappoint, asking questions on everything from the price of gasoline to decriminalizing marijuana. She gave a great answer to the questions about marijuana, using storytelling about a colleague (when she was in Mississippi) who did research of the effects of smoking pot. No condescension, no defensiveness, just how the scientist/friend had convincingly shared his scientific conclusions with her. Lots of environmental/energy questions as well.

She's also good at knowing when not to elaborate: "Are you endorsing anyone in the current Presidential Primary?" "No."

She is a very comfortable speaker, and obviously at home in the classroom, asking questions here & there instead of just lecturing. She knew what the professor had been teaching all semester and worked that into her lecture and examples. And, she lives right down the street (in Madbury NH) and worked that in easily as well.

Of course, I had to admire her great navy blue suit--fitting perfectly and actually looking comfortable--and her sensible yet stylish flatish blue shoes. It reminded me of all the times I spent staring at the backside of John Edwards and the frayed cuffs of his blue jeans.

In the wrap up and thank you, Prof. Reardon was quick to add that Senator Sununu will be extended the same invitation, "as soon as he has a re-election campaign in place." That made me chuckle.

Chris needed to walk Gov. Shaheen out and as he did he said to the class: "you heard from a real politician, now you'll hear from someone who can help you become one." Well, maybe not exactly, but if you are a student at UNH who needs an internship, let's talk!

BTW: as I type this, my nine current UNH TWC interns are at Rep. Carol Shea-Porter's office in DC, getting their own meet & greet that I arranged with the Congresswoman (and hopefully a picture for my website), and tour of the Capitol. I feel so well-connected!