Thursday, August 28, 2008

It's My Party...

Did you catch the DNC action yesterday? Quite accidentally, I tuned in to a live CNN.com feed just as the roll call was introducing Nevada! What luck. And now for the great state of New Hampshire! In case you missed what State Chairman Ray Buckley said (copied from BH, where there's a very cool pic):
The granite blue state of New Hampshire, home of Governor John Lynch and
Congressman Paul Hodes: New Hampshire, a leader in electing women,
celebrates the election of Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter, House Speaker Terie
Norelli, Senate President Sylvia Larsen, the State Senate female majority, and
in November, the election of Jeanne Shaheen to the United States Senate.
In January, New Hampshire was proud to make history once again, as our primary was the first contest ever won by a woman running for the presidency of the United
States, our friend Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton. In New Hampshire, where Unity is more than just a town, we answer Senator Clinton's call to unite, and we fulfill Dr. King's dream by coming here from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire to proudly cast all 30 votes for the next President of the United States Barack Obama!

I really dig the Unity reference. Very Impressive, given HRC's victory and supporters in NH. Supporters like Bill Shaheen, Kathy Sullivan, First Lady Susan Lynch. Smart move for all those involved to set a tone, toe the party line, and get the job done. It was fun to spot people I know or know of, and I did a little happy dance when I saw Erin Thesing, a UNH student and Obama delegate.

I loved the unexpected little piece of theater with the yeilding to Illinois who yielded to New York. Again, call me naive, but I didn't expect it. When the nomination became official, I let out a little cheer to which my son said, "Yea, We Won!" Well, not yet. How do you explain that this one election has lasted almost two years, and we aren't there yet. Just one more giant step forward.

I wasn't so impressed with Jeanne Shaheen's little appearance, I have to admit, but I thought she looked great. Nice suit, good hair. But no matter how long she lives here, I still don't hear NH in her accent. But it was fab to see all the Shaheen signs in the audience held up by familiar faces again.

After dinner and bedtime, I was able to catch all the big speeches. YES, I stayed up with more help from on-line chatting. The speakers just got better and better. It feels good to say Bill didn't disappoint. Biden & son getting choked up got me all teary. I hope this ends the Clinton campaign for real and that they finally let Obama have his convention and his moment in history. It truly is an amazing moment in our country's history. Here I go, getting mushy again...

Anyway...What I really walked away wanting to know is this: does Nancy Pelosi have a new stylist or something? She looks great. Did she have work done?? Botox? I'm loving the outfits; that white suit the other night had such a cool silky collar, only to be outdone by the way cool wide collar top thing last night. As we say in Italian, Mi Piace! She may not be the greatest speaker (small s), but she's sporting some cool suits. I'm dying to see what she wears tonight.

That, and how will Sasha & Malia wear their hair!?