Saturday, August 9, 2008

More Thoughts...

So many people are writing and asking me what I think and how I feel...it's like someone died. I appreciate the condolences but I am trying to put the Edwards Affair into perspective. No one died, just another powerful man cheating on his wife.

My first thought was this: I wonder if this is how Jeanne Shaheen felt when the Gary Hart scandal broke? I guess I now have seen first hand: The NH Primary can truly be unpredictable, and anything can happen.

I haven't been digging around and reading everything I can get my hands on. I read JRE's statement, and was happy to find & read Elizabeth's blog posts. She never ceases to amaze me. Her writing is so truthful and honest, eloquent and passionate.

What I've come to learn is that this whole thing was over before JRE declared his candidacy and the NH staff were even hired. That makes me feel better, though I'm sure someone somewhere was well aware (there's my naivety again!). I picture some advisers sitting around a table with JRE saying "I'm in, John, but you have to knock it off. Ditch the mistress, and come clean with your wife. Then let's take it from there." So, I am comforted by the fact that Edwards told his wife back in 2006 and they dealt with their issues privately and came out on the other end stronger.

UNH Professor Nick Smith has written a great book about public apologies, and I've heard him speak about the subject many times. In my book, JRE's was a good one. I was relieved he didn't try to dodge any responsibility or become defensive.

My old pal Dennis sent me this, and I think he summed up my feelings quite well:

. . . at least his explanation was right-on. . . . my take. . . . when will
folks realize that human relationships are complex and defy consistency .. . I'm
not excusing him, but really, is something that personal any of my business,
especially given the fact I have no personal relationship with either him or his
wife . . . bottom line. . . men's self esteem is tragically linked, and i think
biologically, to how often and where they can plant their seed.


Maybe that's why I stick with women. They can cheat too, but how many powerful women have had public sex scandals? Seems like women in power, when erring, tend to err on the side of favoring spouses, family or friends inappropriately, and usually involve money. Isn't it interesting how the genders differ in how they misuse power?

And the difference of Dems & Republicans when it comes to scandals is interesting to. Wide stances, cheesy overpriced call girls, underage boy pages on the one hand, and (to quote The L Word) "Good old uncomplicated boy-girl sex" on the other. Neither is OK in my book, but one stands a little less hypocritical. Americans tend to punish the adulterous husband who works hard to repair his marriage rather than the ones who cheated, divorced, remarried the mistress.


I learned from a friend's divorce that there are always two sides to every story, and it's not my place to pass judgement. It's easy to be loyal when the going is good. A true friend/believer will stand by your side when the going gets tough.

The OMG sticker isn't going anywhere.