Saturday, January 20, 2007

Busy Saturday!

Wow, what a difference a day makes! Hillary is in, and "in to win," and Brownback, too (who?). But my biggest development today is that I went to my first Primary Town Hall Meeting of the season. Yee Ha, here we go!! Senator Dodd of CT was in Dover, less than a mile from my house, and even though I had my four-year old twins in tow, I made it.

I've never heard or read a thing about Dodd before, and probably won't again. He didn't impress me. We chatted, he patted the kids on the head & told me about his own (very) little ones at home. He answered questions in that way long-time politicians do: tell you it's a great question, talk about something related & never actually answer you. He looked relaxed and comfortable in his non-Washington attire (unlike some who have to try to act ok in slacks and a sweater), and was warm and friendly. He wore Merril's on his feet (so, he's practical, that's good). Said some nice things--a touching story about his daugther, bashed the bushies now & then--but didn't stir the fire. My son fell asleep as soon as he started talking, if that is any indication of how it went.

Rep. Carol Shea-Porter did his introduction, and got a much deserved round of applause from the crowd. She looked more together in person than she does in media. I chatted a bit with her too, and she said she's actually having a good time in DC so far with all the excitement of being a freshman again. And, she welcomed the chance to take some of my students at UNH as interns, so that was nice. My daughter said she wants to vote for her for president, then told me "I only want you to vote for girls." So, I promised to drag her along with me to see Hillary when she comes to town, now that it's official.

I'm sure they'll need a bigger room for that "town hall meeting."