Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What's Happening in New Hampshire?

Well, you may think that all the attention right now is focused on South Carolina and Thursday's debate, but you'd be wrong! Here's what's going on in the Granite State:

John McCain is formally announcing his candidacy today, in Portsmouth. I have a friend whose husband did some advance work for him last week, which mostly included checking out the level of sogginess at Prescott Park. MoveOn.org has timed a new anti-McCain commercial on WMUR, which shows the disgusting "Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran" video clip. Not funny. Also, I met a student who said he was all about McCain until he shook his hand and realized how frail McCain was, and it rattled him. He's not the maverick of 2000 anymore.

And speaking of commercials, there have been two Richardson spots playing on our only local TV station, as well. They are being received favorably, and are very well done. Everyone loves the one shot by the stone wall (no danger of being accused of shooting it outside NH!). But if you ask me, these commercials are making a very good case for Richardson as the next Secretary of State.

Mitt Romney is finally coming to Portsmouth, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it. There are three reasons why I want to see him in person: #1 is that I attended the 2002 Winter Olympics (as a spectator, not an athlete) and they were fabulous. Since it was the first major international event after 911, many people advised us not to go, or were worried. We not only went, but had a blast. They were run wonderfully from my perspective, and we got to see some of it up close, and talk to members of SLOC first-hand. Our hosts & friends, Steve & Trisha Clark of Provo, were awesome. Which leads me to reason #2: I won't rule anyone out of the running based on religion, even if I don't particularly agree with it (let's face it, I don't believe in any or agree with many anyhow). You won't hear many lesbians say this, but Mormons have been very good to us. Steve is one of my dearest friends and former colleagues, and he and his whole extended family have been gracious to us whenever we've met. His BIL, who is a lawyer for the LDS church, gave us a tour of his office which included access to places most non-members don't see. I've even had my picture taken on the temple steps! My reason #3 is silly: My brother now owns a home on the same road as the Romneys, in Wolfeboro.
Updating other NH news, we are on the brink of passing civil unions in our legislature and Gov. Lynch has pledged to sign it into law. No lawsuits or "legislating from the bench." As far as I've seen, no huge protests or crazed extremists. Just letters to the Editors and lots of contacting of legislators. The Exchange on NHPR had a very civil, dispassionate discussion (IMHO) on the topic yesterday, and it seems like an idea whose time has come. As I've said many times, NH conservativism isn't like that of bible belt or red states. It's more about keeping government out of bedrooms, relationships, families. So, we could be going to a lot of "weddings" this summer.