Monday, February 18, 2008

Here She Goes Again

Once again, I'm not toeing the party line. This time, it's not the lesbian line, it's the populist/liberal line. The moveon.org line (no, I won't sign the petition, thanks). Here's my crime: I kinda think "Super Delegates" are cool. I like them, I want them to vote any way they want.

There, I said it. Is that so wrong?

This is NOT the general election. Each of the Political Parties is selecting their nominee. This is the their game. This is obvious if you watch how different every state and each party has been choosing their nominee. Caucuses are a great example of this--great fun but you have to show up, be informed, participate. Some caucuses have a "round two" like Iowa's, where you can realign if your candidate is deemed unviable. Republicans have winner take all, Dems get gritty and allocate delegates by Congressional District.

Super Delegates are party elite, that's true. In some cases we--common voters-- elected them. In other cases, they were elected by those who chose to get involved in the local, county, or state party. That's cool with me. I didn't get involved in the party and didn't vote for them, but I'm ok with the fact that others did.

Maybe I trust my Super Delegates more than the average voter because I know who most of them are. Reps. Carol Shea-Porter & Paul Hodes...I trust them completely. Governor Lynch with a 78% approval rating in NH--what's not to love? Chairman Ray Buckley, who is still publicly undecided, I trust him too. He's been through a lot just to become our state Chair, and I know he does not take his responsibility lightly.

A fellow blogger I "met" during the NH Primary has a signature to his emails that says "Decisions are made by those who show up." I didn't show up at any of those party meetings or elections. That was my choice. Maybe next time I will. Those who did show up got to vote. I can live with that.