Thursday, February 28, 2008

Stealing My Thunder

I had this whole rant started yesterday, and was working on the fine tuning. Then my old fashioned paper Newsweek came in the mail, and Jonathan Alters said exactly everything I was trying to say, but of course more eloquently. So, either you can read his essay or mine. Same idea:

Please make her stop. Someone, please, show Senator Clinton how to bow out gracefully.

I tell my kids a million times a day that they can be more successful at getting what they want if they don't whine. Be nice, use your polite words. I expect the same of her. I have reached my limits with her campaign, and her.

The episode that put me over the edge was during the most recent debate (which I confess I did not watch), complaining that she's called on first all the time. Give me a break. It didn't seem to bother her when there were 8 candidates and she was called on twice as much as others. Or when she was getting all the free passes from press as the so-called front runner for the first YEAR of this campaign. YES she's being treated differently...she's being treated like the candidate who had a 30+ point lead for months and wasted it with arrogance and "inevitability."

And I'm so sick of being called sexist if her voice reminds me of a nagging spouse or parent. If her tone is grating to me? She's a lousy public speaker and is short on the charisma. That's not my fault, that's her's. There are plenty of women's voices I could listen to lecture me all day long--Elizabeth Edwards, Cokie Roberts, Robin Roberts, to name just a few. Hillary's also trying to sell something--experience--that is not very glamorous or motivating. It IS like being nagged to do something because you should, not because you want to. She should have listened to people like supporter NH Rep Jim Splaine (scroll down for his comments) rather than Mr. Overpaid Penn.

And don't even get me started on the plagiarism deal. She flat out stole John Edwards' closing line "No matter what happens, we'll be fine. I'll be fine." Did she credit him? No, nor did her team credit Eddie Vale (Edwards' NH Press Secretary) when they stole the words off his press release word for word, right down to the ellipses (you'll have to search Blue Hampshire for that, I don't have time).
If/when Hillary Clinton loses this nomination, it will be her own fault. Not because the press played favorites or that voters like me are sexist or worship Senator Obama as a deity. It will be because she and her team changed themes every week, they whined when they didn't get their way, they overspent their money, and their arrogance turned off more voters.

I'm so over the Clintons. Sorry, Bill.