Friday, February 1, 2008

Suspending My Disbelief

Well, the dreaded day has finally come. "My guy," as my friends and colleagues affectionately call John Edwards, is out of the race. Or rather, "suspending his bid" whatever that means! No one can claim to be shocked, but there is a bit of disappointment or anger over the timing. Why not stay through Super Tuesday? Just one more week! Why leave after a pretty successful fund-raising week? Why not stick it out for one more debate after a great performance and good reviews? I have to rely on the trust I have developed for him over the past 12 months, because answers are not there. But one thing is certain...well two things:
  1. He ALONE set the agenda for the Democrats in this cycle.

  2. We have NOT seen the last of John Reid Edwards yet!
When I broke the news to the kids on Wednesday morning, Griffin got a little upset and started to cry. "We're still going to vote for him" he announced, playing spokes-twin, which is usually Annie's role. I know a lot of Edwards supporters who agree with Griff on this. I tried explaining that not enough voters supported him, and that now we are waiting to see if Hillary or Obama will be the nominee. "Not Hillary, Mommy, remember, she voted for guns (war)!!"

So, like Edwards supporters everywhere, I am carefully considering my new choice...not like it matters. I have no vote left until November. If/when I decide, I will then decide if that support is strong enough to become involved again. How much I could sincerely advocate for either candidate is the question.

What now for me? I have been thinking about how to remain engaged on the local level. SMucci at Blue Hampshire has raised some interesting questions about local vs. national involvement. I've met a few state reps and non-profit leaders in this process, and will try to nurture those contacts. Laura Jones, now former President of UNH College Dems, warned me that next cycle, my name will be at the top of the Dover activists list, and I can expect to be called & courted early on in the Primary. That could be fun, or annoying, but mostly flattering.

Last night, I ran out to do some errands after dinner. A pick-up passed me as the driver was beeping & waving the peace sign. It was JJ, spotting my Edwards sticker again. We played cat & mouse at a series of traffic lights, and I got to see his vast collection of political bumper stickers on his tailgate. It was a sad, slow-motion sort of wave and parting.

Peace, JJ. Peace for us all.