Thursday, February 21, 2008

Not Wasting Any Time!

Well, that didn't take long at all...just as Laura predicted!


A few nights ago, the phone rang after dinner. Caller ID said "Democratic Party," so I knew it was going to be for me. It was. Here's what the woman said, "I heard from some of your friends on the Edwards campaign that you were a great volunteer for them, is that true?" My first reaction was to think "who said that?" then I found it funny that she ended with a question asking me to confirm my own fabulousness. The thought of that just made me laugh out loud.

She was asking me to participate in the state party's new initiative, The Neighborhood Leader program, which I have heard of thanks to emails and newsletters I've been receiving about it. It seems like a reasonable way to get new-ish volunteers to commit to a small, accessible goal. Now that I am a slightly experienced volunteer, I felt empowered to tell her my limits: I will not canvass, and may or may not be willing to do more phone banking. If I do phone banking at all, I prefer to do it with others and not alone from home. I don't love it, but will do it, maybe. I'm not completely there yet, but leaning.

What I didn't say was that it might depend on who the presidential nominee is.