Thursday, February 14, 2008

Where Did Everybody Go?

Unlike Howard Dean, I am LOVING how this is dragging on and on. The more voters across our country that can participate in selecting the nominees, the better. Especially when those voters are in the US territories and District of Columbia, who generally do not get to vote. I love that Vermont will get a vote that matters. I love how everyone lamented that we'd have a prolonged general election and now the worry is that it will be too short! The only thing I don't love is that Ohio, once again, will be a major factor. What's up with that, anyway? Why is it always up to Ohio??

The other thing I love about this process is that it is further proof that Iowa and New Hampshire are not the deciders. AND, all those states who moved UP their primaries, to get more influence, may actually have less in the end. And speaking of...IMHO, Michigan and Florida delegates broke the rules and should not be seated. Even on the elementary school playground, you know that you can't change the rules in the middle of the game.

In other news: the Edwards blog has finally shut down. I had no warning because work has been busy & I hadn't visited in a few days. There was a pretty tight community there, and it's a bit sad to see them disperse. I just wish I had had a chance to say goodbye. NH Prez Watch has stopped posting as well, but he's shifted focus to a new project (quickly becoming my new fav): PolitickerNH. GraniteProf is still around, though not posting as often. He's still popping up in the media, and building his following at UNH.

I'm an academic advisor/career counselor at heart: I'm still following the career paths of the activists, staffers, press, and trackers I got to know over the past 12 monts. A few have resettled in the Washington DC area, and I'm hoping to reconnect with them during my next trip (for The Washington Center) in April. My Advance pal, Susie, accepted a job the the Jeanne Shaheen Senatorial Campaign so she's sticking with Manch-Vegas. Now that Shaheen's last in-party rival has dropped out, all her energy is focused on the opponent: Sen. John Sununu. He's not very popular 'round these parts lately. I think it will be cool for her to be able to work for the Shaheen Machine, and have a successful campaign--I have no doubt Shaheen will win--on her resume, post-Primary.

OT random though: Isn't it interesting that the two major candidates we have for this NH Senate Seat both have last names (and families) of Arab descent. Just an observation...kinda cool actually.