Thursday, January 10, 2008

PPD: Post Primary Depression

It feels a lot like the days after Christmas here now, when you take down the tree and decorations, and your house guests have all left. All the gifts are put away, and some of them you liked, some you didn't. You're stuck writing thank you notes anyway, smiling and saying "thank you." No more cards coming in the mail every day, no more holiday sales pitches on TV. Everyone goes back to work or school, and real life. The place seems empty and quiet. The quiet is good, but at first it takes some getting used to.

New Hampshire is cleaning up, and a whole bunch of people we've grown fond of are packing up and saying their good byes. I bet there are a lot of apartments for rent in Manchester now.

On Wednesday, I saw the former Deaniac and now-famous Edwards volunteer JJ driving around Dover, collecting Edwards signs from street corners and public places. He spotted my bumper sticker and started honking at me at the 5 way intersection, downtown. He's been an incredible and indefatigable motivator, volunteer, and supporter. He usually made appearances wearing is 2004 "I See Dean People" t-shirt; it's a great NH Primary souvenir. Now he can add some stand-up comedy to his resume. (I'm taking inventory of my own Primary Souvenirs and will list them later.)

The only signs left are those in front of private homes, like mine. Most in my neighborhood are still up. Last I checked, the big light-up Ron Paul sign was still up, too.

I drove by the Dover Edwards office and saw the cleaning up going on. The windows were cleaned off (we brought them window markers when they first moved it, and the kids and I loved driving by every day and seeing them in use). The sight broke my heart. But I didn't stop by to help. I'm sure the staff needs just to be alone with each other rather than having to smile & play nice for a supporter.

As far as my amateur analysis goes...that's still in the works. You might have to wait a bit for that.