Monday, January 7, 2008

Sunday Afternoon

Yesterday, Sunday, I did a short shift at the Edwards office in Dover. What a difference in energy and activity from just a few days ago. It was buzzing, and though the staff is tired, they were fired up as well.

First I learned that some of those New Yorkers I passed in my neighborhood where in deed canvassing for Edwards. One of them came down my little dead end street and spoke to a neighbor. I met a bunch of volunteers who travelled to NH from Maryland, NY, NJ, CT, and even one from Iowa!! It was weird to see so many new faces in the mix. In a good way, totally.

I happened to be there around dusk, which was good and bad. The good part was that canvassers were coming in for the evening, and I could hear their reports and see their smiling faces. Man, are they ever glad the weather has improved in NH!!

The bad part was that it was getting close to supper time, and New Hampshirites have had just about enough with the phone calls. I was quick every time to say that I was also a Dover resident, and "I know we're all getting a lot of calls right now but...." Unfortunately, I had the bad luck to have this guy on my call list. Sorry, if I had read this first, I would have skipped the call!

And now, the robo-calls have started, too. Kucinich first on Saturday, then yesterday one from a Pro-Choice activist for Hillary. I don't mind them, and usually I do listen out of curiosity and to see if they identify themselves properly or violate any laws. It's a hot topic in NH following the GOP phone jamming case in 2004. But I have to wonder: is there any real data out there to suggest that they are helpful? Most people I know feel that they annoy more then help no matter who they are from.

Most folks I know only complain quietly, for they know it will be over very soon. But more importantly, if we want to keep the New Hampshire Primary First in The Nation, there is a price to pay for it. And remember the next time your phone rings: it could be me or someone else like me, just trying to change the world, one little phone call at a time.

PS: If you want a prediction now, I just don't have an exact one. Edwards & Obama are splitting the usual "elite" camp while Clinton is really not doing much to firm up her usually tried & true "establishment" voters. Accusations are flying about who's playing dirty and who's not. However it goes, I know it's not the end, but only the beginning.