Wednesday, January 9, 2008

New Hamshire, I salute YOU!

To whine about being tired would be an insult to the candidates, staffers, volunteers, and press who worked way harder and way longer than I did over the last 12+ months. So first & foremost, I salute you all.

Well, my perfect streak continues! Since I moved to NH in 1988, I have never been on the winning team for a NH Primary. I guess my problem is that I'm too educated or "elitist"...pick your word. ;-)

My Primary Heroes this morning are of course John & Elizabeth Edwards. Their parents, children, and your dedicated staff. I also salute all the bloggers I met at Blue Hampshire and the John Edwards blog. The non-profit friends who track and record and gave us endless freebies and stickers to keep the kids occupied--Priorities, The Iraq Campaign, Health Care Voters--thanks for putting these issues front & center in NH. (I am still waiting for my ice cream prize: 42881).

Brian Lawson, you rock! Come to UNH for your Master's Degree!! Seriously, what you created was something that shows how important and accessible politics in New Hampshire Primary, and why we all love it. Tell me, did you do this all from your dorm room at Saint A's? And, how were your grades last semester (I do, after all, still work in academic affairs.)

Hats off to Dante Scala, as always. I sat in my car & listened to your town by town analysis before dragging myself into the mobbed and too loud Edwards party at 10:30pm. (I am too old for this!!) And, it's your fault I missed my exit going home & and ended up going south instead of east in the fog. After we both catch up on sleep and kids and work, lunch before students return. My treat.

I'm still gathering my thoughts on the outcome. Maybe after a few more diet cokes, I will be coherent enough to put them into print. For now, here are a few photos of the final hours with Team Edwards, Strafford County, and the 2008 New Hampshire Primary.

Oh, one final word. When I explained to the kids that John Edwards didn't win, Griffin said "he can try again tomorrow!" I love that optimism, he seems to be right on track with the campaign's strategy, too. Then I explained how it is time for other states to have their vote, then he asked "why can't every day be voting day?" My answer: "Because Justin needs to sleep."
Thanks again, everyone! Just three more year!!