Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Evening Election Edition: 6:00pm

Just after that last post, things got a little hectic.  2pm was database-switch time.  Canvassers were called back, and new voter lists were distributed that would show only those who hadn't voted yet.  They were probably accurate as of noon or 1pm, so to me it didn't seem worth the chaos it caused as we had to swap out lists but keep maps and other info in the canvasser packs.  Just as I was packing up to leave at 3pm, I heard someone lament..."Good, that went ok.  And, we will do it all again at 5pm."  

I got home in time to start some decorating and cleaning.  Sure enough at 4pm a canvasser walked by.  He gave me the thumbs up and I tried to save him the walk to the end of the street by telling him the neighbor's already voted.  At 6pm the phone rang, and I laughed as I reported, "yes, we voted already!"  I've always said that Obama has the superior ground game, but now it's a little bit of overkill. We're all ready for the craziness to stop, and the polls to close.  

Two more hours.  Let's REALLY get this party started!  (How do you like our dessert??)

OK, so an update from Colleen at the office around 5:30pm:  database refresh at 5pm was cancelled and all hands on deck for GOTV phone calls to Dover, Rollinsford, and surrounding area, due to lower than expected voter turn out so far.