Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Live, from HQ, it's Tuesday Morning!

Welcome to Election Day, 2008!  

I'm blogging from the Durham/UNH HQ of the NHDP!  I've been assigned a perfect job for an introvert: giving maps & packets out to canvassers.  So far, everyone is pumped.  Canvassing packets are organized by town & ward, so that the GOTV Door Hangers have each voters polling place.  Talk about glossy packets--full color door hangers, fliers, sample ballots, etc.  I'm in chum heaven.

First thing this morning, I checked online for the report from Dixville Notch, NH.  Traditionally, they open their polls at midnight & close them once all registered boters have voted (not long after, usually).  And, for the first time since 1968, a Democrat won!  

I voted with the kids at 8am.  There was about a 20 minute wait, but everything went smoothly.  As expected, I teared up as I filled in the ovals on the paper ballot.  The kids helped me feed it into the ballot box, and off we went.  So, now I'm dedicating the rest of the day to making sure other people vote too.

My old pal JJ (from Team Edwards days) stopped in.  I've been surprised at the age range of volunteers: from age 16 to 60+.  Because this is Durham, the crowd is mostly white.  There have been a few out-of-staters helping out, but not as many as I expected.  Moods are jovial, food is abundant, and all is well in ObamaLand.  

More later!