Friday, March 30, 2007

"I Spy"

Gosh, I love living in this state!

Yesterday I was at work, trying to get something done but not being too successful, when I got a few emails from various sources reminding my about the Edwards Town Hall meeting on Monday, like I could even try to forget it. One was from Susie, who was working "advance", which I've come to understand as meaning she gets to a site beforehand to get things rolling, create good energy, gather volunteers, etc. So I decided to go find her, and went to the MUB (our student union), and found her in a hearbeat. Didn't even need to ask her if she was the person who just emailed me. Just said "Hi, I'm Paula." That cracked her up.

There's something about presidential campaign staffers that make them stick out even when they are trying not to. At least they stick out to those of us who've seen a lot of them. Cell phone, maybe a Blackberry or a laptop, black clothes, self-importance. To Susie's credit, the last 2 didn't apply. But you can always tell when a candidate is coming or is close by.

But now I'm totally intrigued by this job, the Advance person. What sort of background or degree do you need (oh, the career counselor in me always needs to know what major?). How would you ever get started? I wonder if first you must come to NH and see if you can say "I Spy a Winner." Hmmm