Thursday, September 27, 2007

Carsey Institute Forum on Rural Issues

Another Front Row Seat! I didn't plan it, but two of my colleagues invited me to join them...

JRE did his MTV/MySpace stint at UNH at noon today (which I'm listening to now is doing fabulously), and then finally got to the more scholarly Carsey Institute by 2:30 (event was advertised as starting at 12:30!). I couldn't stay long but I was in the front row, and again: he was there and ON.

It worked like this: he spoke briefly about his RRA, then our experts on rural issues (faculty, researchers, and "demographers") questioned him. He took the questions from his seat on the panel on stage. The experts looked genuinely pleased with his answers. Then open Q&A, at which point I snuck out.

While waiting beforehand, I had lots of good chats with colleagues, students, and attendees. Everyone agreed that Edwards dominated & won last night's debates, and that's not just confirmed supporters like me. A nice gentleman from The Boston Globe wondered aloud about the students in attendance all being female. So a small group of us chewed on this a while. My take: it's true at most campus events, and certainly true in the rolls of most opportunities and academic programs. UNH is about 58% female, but the students present were more like 90% women. Fac/Staff were more evenly split. So maybe that will show up in the Globe's coverage. Maybe not.

My other observation: I ran out for my daily dose of chocolate during the waiting period. On my way, I counted the press vehicles on Main Street who did not pay the meters. Almost all of them! Some had press credentials mounted visibly on their dashes. Are they exempt, or just arrogant? Just wondering...

Another great event and great 24 hours for Edwards.