Monday, September 3, 2007

Media Relations

In 2002, I realized a huge lifetime goal of mine: I attended the Winter Olympics...as a spectator, not an athlete. They were held in Salt Lake City, Utah, and Stacey & I stayed with friends in Provo for a wonderful week of being tourists and taking in the games. We had tickets to several events: bobsled, women's ice hockey, XC & downhill skiing, and the figure skating exhibition. It was a blast, and one of my most treasured memories (and the reason I have a soft spot for Mitt). But the biggest disappointment was learning that, the unless you are a member of the press corp or a corporate sponsor, your tickets won't get you very close to the action. Hmm, not unlike politics, no?

At every venue, there was always a big huge block of the best seats, usually color coded in purple, right behind the judges or at the finish line, for the press. And they were usually empty. It drove us crazy.

Unlike the Olympics however, at Presidential Debates, the press doesn't get front row seats. In fact, they aren't even in the same building. You'd think this would be a disadvantage, but it's not. They are all together in the Media Center. There, they watch the one video feed on a large screen, while sitting side by side with their competitors. They are free to talk, chat on phones, IM, laugh, jeer, roll their eyes. It's so fun to hear what they OOO and AHH at. They file their stories (when I first volunteering, filing was a lot different than now, in the age of wifi) and go to the spin room after where everyone is saying how they won the debate. Experts like UNH's Dynamic Primary Duo (Profs. Andy Smith & Dante Scala) also give their observations & analyses.

So, it's with a great deal of excitement that I will again be volunteering in the Fox GOP Debate Media Center here at UNH. On Wednesday, Sept. 5th, I'll be doing press check-in at 10am, and maybe again later in the day or evening. I want to be in lovely downtown Durham for the post-debate parties (it's a really small downtown, so there may be more candidates than restaurants/bars to accomodate them!). The first time I did this, 2000, I was teased by my pal Colleen for not recognizing any big pundits because I don't watch much TV. So, when Tim Russert came in, I was not all starry eyed and actually had to ask who it was. I still don't watch much TV (and I don't have cable) but this time around I hope not to embarrass myself.
I'm off now to scope out the Whitt...more later, I hope!