Monday, September 17, 2007

Scattered Thoughts, Gathered

I've been a bit busy with work, but today I'm home with a sick child (watching reruns of Madeline & Mr. Rogers...oy!) So, I have a bunch of random thoughts I guess I'll put into one post just to get them out of my head.

Signage: Hillary's office responded to my angst, and installed two huge, obnoxious permanent signs on the Chestnut Street office. Ugly, but noticeable. But still the #1 sign I see around the seacoast of NH AND at UNH is Ron Paul. So, I am going out on a little limb here to say: you heard it from me first. He'll be the GOP surprise in NH, where Repubicanism does not equate evangelicalism. Maybe not first place, but definitely "better than expected."

Canvassing: Thank you to the Edwards staff for my two new white spruce trees. They did a statewide canvassing over the weekend, which included handing out tiny trees & a little handout about "Granite Roots" campaigning and environmental policy. I am a sucker for this stuff; who came up with that? I love it, hokey as it is. Which leads me to this thought...

Spoiled: If I gave my last $50 to a candidate I really believed in, and I lived somewhere else, how would I feel about all the spending going to NH? This thought began when Obama held his ice cream social in Dover in late summer, and now it won't go away. I wouldn't call it guilt (I gave up guilt when I left the catholic church 20 years ago), but it does feel like an awesome responsibility. As more candidates pick up gimmicks, I do feel like they shouldn't get too silly or extravagant. Trees seem ok, certainly a noble gesture. Contests are the other big thing, I guess it all started with the contest to select Hillary's campaign song in the spring. Obama gave away lunch, and now you can win a seat with Elizabeth Edwards for the debates at Dartmouth at the end of the month. So, I'm keeping an eye on this trend, and I promise to make sure all you contributors from other states see that your money is well spent.

My day job: For my work at UNH, I've been attending various classes and student group meetings to promote internships The Washington Center. That's how I got into two of Dante Scala's classes, and Profs Smith & Dorsey's POLT 600, History of the NH Primary. Oh, to be a student again. I peeked at the required texts and plan to read them in my free time. I am lucky to work for such a cool program, and I was recently named to their Liaison Advisory Board. I get to visit the UNH interns in Washington DC when I travel down each semester. If only I could enroll in their National Political Convention program. Until then, I can continue to live vicariously through my students.

And, last but not least: Another Shaheen! Yes, of course, she's in. Jeanne Shaheen, former Governor of NH and wife of Bill Shaheen, HRC's guru, is running for Sununu's Senate Seat. And immediately, candidate Steve Marchand from Portsmouth kept his word & dropped out. He's the guy all the Edwards staff & many supporters really liked. I wonder why that was? Well, for more on the very graceful step out & endorsement, I refer you to Blue Hampshire. Impressive!

Gotta go rewind a video (yes, VHS, from the library)...

PS: Thanks to Mike for the fun new graphic.