Monday, September 3, 2007

A REAL Front Row Seat!

On Friday I was invited to a Supporter Meeting for the Edwards campaign. It was held at our Dover office, and the headline attraction was Elizabeth Edwards. So, even though it was on a Saturday afternoon at 4pm, I was there, early of course. Early enough to get a seat in the front row.

Of course, Elizabeth wasn't the only item on the agenda. The staff had a very full meeting planned, and the meeting portion was closed to the press. We went over the campaign strategy nationally, state-wide, and locally. I'm such a geek, because I do find that stuff interesting! Mike Alfoni, or Monster Mike as my kids affectionately now refer to him since he plays well with others, was the speaker, mixing motivation with guilt (more of the former than latter). But the rest is top secret, and not nearly as interesting as what transpired when Elizabeth arrived.

She's so amazingly accessible and normal, like someone you'd start chatting with in the line at the grocery store (although most people in NH don't chat much with strangers). She stood in the front of the small room of maybe 20 or so supporters & 8-10 staffers, thanking us and again motivating us to keep up our hard work. One needs lots of positive reinforcement to do phone banking! She was wearing black pants, a cute black & white striped shirt, and adorable little black shoes that looked dressy yet incredibly comfortable. (Also, check out the article in Foster's Daily Democrat. That's my pink sleeve in the audience.) And, interestingly (to me anyway), she didn't wear one bit of jewelry, including a wedding ring. No watch either. Who needs one with all the staffers keeping you on schedule?

Her job was to thank & motivate us, then to take questions about John's positions and policies so that we can better answer them in our work as part of the team. The two big topics were health care and education (No Child Left Behind). She gave so much info and detail and specifics, let me tell ya, that I couldn't even keep up. Impressive. She knows her stuff!!

I keep reading that the GOP thinks health care isn't a big issue, and that even for Dems it should not be on the top of the list, but I'm so glad it's on Edwards' agenda, front & center. And every campaign event I attend or read about is chock full of health care horror stories from average people. Sounds like folks in NH are more afraid of a catastrophic disease than terrorism to me. And aren't we one of the most affluent states?

In attendance were teachers, UNH staffers and a adjunct faculty, union workers. A few folks with disabilities (that I could see), parents, retirees. Two underage high schoolers who want to volunteer too. Regular, normal folks. No state reps or city officials, though there are some who are on board.

Lots of picture taking and hand shaking afterwards. Since I so recently got her autograph, I let others have their turn. Instead, I accosted the staff with requests for campaign buttons. Then, after Mrs. Edwards used the restroom, my friend & colleague Colleen & I debated on whether we wanted to be the next person after Mrs. Edwards to sit on the same seat. As we bickered and bantered, Laura Jones (Pres. of UNH College Dems and my son's big crush) beat us to it, I think unaware of the "seat of honor" she just took!