Thursday, September 11, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Local

Time to bring it back to New Hampshire!

Yesterday was the official kick-off of the general election for many state-wide races. Tuesday was "primary day" for NH, with Shaheen & Gov. Lynch easily winning their party's trust. So Team Shaheen held a little thank you/kick-off in Dover Wednesday at 4pm at the Jenny Thompson Pool.

It wasn't a huge crowd, but it was decent. Mostly, it was made up of UNH College Dems, Strafford County Dems, local elected officials, and loads of Shaheen grandchildren. Last time I saw the whole family together in person, I think Molly was in middle school! Now the Shaheen daughters are all grown up (and very attractive), and the older daughters have several children. It was cute to see Billy & Jeanne being plain old grandparents before the event.

I attended alone but was happy to run into a few familiar faces I haven't seen since last semester. But NH has finally got fall weather moving in, and I got too cold to hang around. So, I stayed long enough to eat a free hot dog, chat with a few students and friends, hear a good anti-Sununu stump speech, and pick up a larger-than-normal lawn sign. Jeanne Shaheen has definitely picked up a LOT of former Clinton supporters, and they seem to be working their butts off for their new boss.

And onto tomorrow: Supposedly, Barack Obama will be in NH Friday & Saturday. This morning a few websites said he'd be in Dover, but by lunch the Dover event wasn't listed any more. Hmm. So, I'm still going to try to see him this weekend, but I sure hope it's right in my own back yard. Yes, we in NH are still spoiled! What, I have to drive out of my town to see a candidate??

Until I get a confirmation, I will leave you with this little state poll to lift your spirits, if Sarah Palin is still bringing you down.

Late night update (9pm, late for me!): After hours of searching websites and driving through downtown Dover, Seacoast Online/Portsmouth Herald's Michael McCord comes through with the info:  the Dover event is invitation only, for undecided voters.  Try that, Sarah Barracuda!  While I'd prefer to be on the invite list, preaching to the choir Bush-style, might light some fires, but Obama needs to swing some voters.  Now the goal is to see if I can make the Manch or Concord rallies instead.