Monday, September 22, 2008

Rising To My Own Challenge

Last week I made good on my challenge to myself & my readers to take action this election year, and went down to my local NHDP office (the former Clinton campaign HQ in Dover) to volunteer.  Now that I am an "experienced" volunteer, I felt more confident and was better able to make it clear that I wasn't ready to do phones.  After introductions, tours, and updates, I was assigned a computer and handed call logs to enter info.  

During the NH Primary, I made the calls and marked these sheets, and passed my completed sheets over to a staffer.  The sheets were pretty much the same--voter name, address, number, boxes to check indicating level of support--and they also used the software VoteBuilder.  But one thing was new.  Bar codes!  Whoa.  I felt like George H W Bush when he first saw a grocery store scanner.

This was cool, at least to me.  I got my own hand-held scanner, scanned the voter ID then scanned the results from a sheet that had all the codes on it.  Click, that was easy.  I think I felt cool mostly because during the primary, only paid staffers entered data; I felt like I got a promotion!

So, now I am in DC for work.  On my first night here I had the good fortune to reunite with former UNH College Dems Prez & former Edwards summer staffer, Laura, who is now living in Baltimore.  And when she asked what's new on the NH campaign trail, I told her all about the cool scanner.  Since I never entered data before, I didn't know if she had used the scanners or not.  She did, but not until very close to the Primary.  But clearly the NHDP/Team Shaheen is hip to technology, and well-funded.  Now I want to know who used what during the NH Primary.

And when I get back from DC, I'm spending every Wednesday night between now & the election with my new scanner toy.  My new challenge to myself is to bring someone new with me each week.  Care to join me?