Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mind The Gap

Adjusting to all four of us being back in school has made for a tough week, although the constant Palin news has kept me going strong.  Today was hardest at morning drop-off, so we decided at dinner to get bedtime back under control and put the twins to bed early.  Whether or not they fell asleep early is another matter.

So, since I had the TV to myself after laundry, dishes, vacuuming, etc., I decided that I needed to tune into a bit of RNC just to be fair.  Big of me, huh?  Thank you.  Since I don't have cable (cheapskate!), I am watching on public television.  There's less punditry, thank goodness because they are are blander than hell, and with no commercials.  

First thing I noticed, and I noticed it immediately, is that so-called "enthusiasm gap."  Whoa. The arena isn't close to being full, and those that are there look happy but not even close to what I saw at the DNC.  Then there is the age difference: very obvious.  And does anyone have stats on men vs. women delegates, or delegates of color?  This audience looked awfully white to me.  

But you know me, I tend to focus on some, um, less than political things, too.  So, who the hell designed this set?  The backdrop is bland and two-dimensional, often monochromatic and static.  The whole stage is so 20th century.  It just shows more of how the Republican Party in the US is aging and not keeping up with technology or other trends.  Everything looks dated.  

Look at that, I made it through this far without mentioning any of Hurricane Sarah!  There's just so much going on, I don't know where to start.  While I agree with Obama's strong statement that kids are off-limits, I have to say that if you drag them on-stage, mention them in your talking points, and draw attention to them and their flaws, you should expect some scrutiny.  And you should have the smarts to tell them before the big announcement to clean up their MySpace pages.  

So, now RNC is back on track and we're all waiting to hear from McCain & Palin.  My prediction now is that Palin will do well with a prepared speech.  But once she starts hitting the stump, town halls in other, more gentile parts of our country, and the talkshow circuit, getting asked the same probing questions again and again about her lack of experience, she'll crack.  But she won't crumble.  No, she's a Maverick, right?  They didn't call her Sarah Barricuda in high school for nothing!  Palin is feisty, a fighter.  She'll come out swinging.  And, just like her new soulmate, she has a temper and we're going to see it. She's going to lash out and run her mouth, more likely.  

So while this convention is putting me to sleep, things are about to get very lively!