Thursday, September 4, 2008

Biting The Hand That Feeds You Free Press

I know I'm veering off my NH Primary-centric blogging mission statement, but there's so much going on that the water cooler at work just isn't big enough to host all the conversations.  And I am feeling rather feisty today.

So I tried to watch some of the GOP convention last night but I quit at 10:15pm.  I made it through Rudy ("noun, verb 9/11").  All the same things caught my eyes: flat visuals, homogeneous audience, zero creativity.  I did finally find some diversity stats (here and here) on the GOP convention delegates:  men outnumber women 2:1, and delegates of color are under 2%...this represents a decrease from conventions past, a huge drop since 2004.  The GOP: moving backwards again...just what our country needs!  As an aside, I was on the NPR website and wanted to hear a story on one of my favorite blogs, Stuff White People Like.  So I searched the four word phrase and what was my number one result?  A story about the RNC!

Call me an elitist (I prefer to be called a thinking person), but I like my candidates for the executive branch to have more than just a bachelor's degree.  I admit that I do favor law degrees especially. Studying law helps you understand, write, and pass laws.   A BA in journalism...sorry, it just doesn't cut it unless it's outdone (by many years) by experience on the national level. And a BA in journalism means you should know how the media works, and what it means to do their job.

Just thinking here...if part of the game of campaigning and getting elected is getting free media (in the form of news coverage beamed directly into my living room or car radio for free daily), blaming the media and in fact insulting them doesn't really help your cause  Dumb move from dumb people.

And just don't even get me started on the hypocrisy of it all.