Monday, February 12, 2007

Gearing up for Obama

Babysitting has been procurred, and UNH & I are gearing up for Barack Obama's visit tonight. I am still in shock at the venue he's chosing for his first time here. I believe it's a 4000 seat gym! Other public figures who used this venue have been Presidents (already elected), and Hillary Clinton as first lady. I can't think of another Primary Candidate who's come to that Field House (going back now 12 years, maybe more?). Leibermann came to UNH on the eve of the general election in 2000, and was in a MUB room that held a few hundred. I also saw John Kerry in a similar room. So, I'm in a bit of shock that for his first time here he can go so large (it's conventional wisdom: having a packed room, even if too small, is better than having empty seats!). Of course, the press area will be huge I'm sure; this trip seems to be getting lots of national attention.

And, if he begins his campaign in NH needing such a large space, will he ever be able to do a smaller venue? Where can he go from here?

See you tonight...