Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Obama Wasn't Impressive

Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe it was that I got there late & had to stand in the back. Or perhaps he was tired from his big announcement tour over the weekend. But whatever the reason, I wasn't all that impressed with Obama last night.

He was a very casual & comfortable speaker, at ease and very personable. (Suitcoat, no tie...man is he skinny!) He spoke slowly and at times carefully, like a good lawyer should. He made some funny remarks, conveyed a few cute kid stories. I expected more passion, more "fire in the belly." Certainly there was no anger (is that good or bad?). In response, the crowd certainly cheered certain remarks but they didn't seemed fired up either. So, which came first??

I guess what I learned is that he's a policy wonk--not a bad thing necessarily in my opinion, but I expected more a uplifting, motivating message. I have to admit I got a little bored with some of the long winded answers. Intellegent, well-reasoned arguments, which is refreshing when compared to current leaders, but just not what I was expecting.

Since you can probably read or watch the speech on line, I'll add my random other observations. I thought it was charming to see the young leaders of the College Democrats take the stage for the introduction, and others acting all self-important working their first big event of the Primary. Crowd was a good mix of ages, races (for NH), and not all from the UNH Community. I saw more dreadlocks in that gym than I've ever seen in one place in NH. Low security, good amount of press that didn't take up too much seating space. Nice signs. Unlike the other candidates I've seen so far, he did have lots of campaign stuff for the taking--stickers, buttons, brochures--and students gobbled them up.