Monday, February 5, 2007

Two No-Shows, One Great Speaker

Well, Hillary Clinton & Joe Biden both cancelled their trips to NH for this past weekend, leaving just Dennis Kucinich to soak up all my attention. Which is probably good since I came down with the ailment my kids had all last week, and could barely make it out for one candidate.

Kucinich: Interesting guy, great speaker. He's intense. Not as short or as freakish as the media seems to portray him. Man, his eye contact beams right into you. He started off a bit esoteric and lofty, but really turned on the charm during Q&A, sharing that he'd been homeless and even in an orphanage for part of his childhood. He seemed to really connect with the audience, which was mostly white, mostly gray-haired.

When I shook his hand after the speech he first commented on my watch--a funky Swatch which is rather cool--then said I have "amazing healing energy" in my touch. My reply was, "I think I just have a fever." Eloquent, huh? When I told him I am a lesbian mom of twins and am looking for a President who will protect all families, he held my hand tighter and said "we will; won't you help us?"

But the biggest news was the new wife, Elizabeth. Holy Cow! She's at least 8" taller and 20 years younger than him. She seemed pleasant, and poised enough to ignore the stage-whisperer who said, "talk about a child bride!" when she was introduced.

I still don't think he has a chance at the nomination, but I admire his pluckiness to stay in the race on his own terms. He'll keep picking at the front runners and force them to be more honest. I hope the media doesn't right him off too quickly...remember New Hampshire loves an underdog.