Sunday, February 25, 2007

Edwards House Party Review


Well, we did it. We are truly New Hampshirites now!! We attended our first Candidate House Party! I've been so excited since the invitation came on Thursday that I was a bit exhausted by Saturday afternoon. (Probably a good thing, because I wasn't a complete bumbling idiot.)

So, it was at a big beautiful home in Concord NH. We arrived just before 4:30, when it wasn't too crowded, but the arrivals just didn't stop. We guessed over 100 guests. JRE arrived around 6pm.

Due to the kids, at the last minute we were hustled to the back of the house between the area he was to speak in, and the kitchen & playroom. So, the kids we shut into a great playroom and we thought we'd be looking at the back of JRE's head. Instead, we were next to the staff (who huddled in the kitchen) and ELIZABETH EDWARDS! But I'll get to that in a second.

As Edwards arrived, he shook hands around the whole, crowded house. I was one of the last, but I did get a handshake. My only impression was "what soft hands!" Then he stood on a stool in the dining room, gave a short speech, then took questions. I could barely see or hear, so when EE was standing alone I approached her. I told her that my kids brought a gift for her children and handed the wrapped book to her. She HUGGED me, thanked me, and examine the homemade card. Then, trying not to get choked up I managed to say, "We are a 2-Mom family, and we want the next President to treat all families equally." Stacey got a photo, and I went back to standing with Stacey who was guarding the playroom door. EE not only held on to the book, she sort of hugged it. I had expected her to hand it off to an aid, but she didn't do that until the very end.

I did it. I got my gift to the Edwards' Family directly!! The book, Todd Parr's The Family Book, is inscribed to Emma Claire & Jack from our family, and there's one of our cute return address labels stuck there. Now I'm waiting to see if we get a thank you note.

What was most amazing about being near her (she's short!) is that everyone who talked to her had something to say about cancer. I heard non-stop survivor stories. She was so gracious & supportive of every one.

Back to JRE: Handsome, a bit hoarse after a busy day, dressed casually (jacket, no tie). He has a funny squinty eye thing going that makes him look either tired or as if the bright lights bother him. His talk was in line with everything I've en reading & watching.

He left through the back door, giving us another opportunity for a handshake. This time Stacey got one (she agreed that he had a good handshake and soft skin). I shook again, this time the two hand clutch and thanked him for coming to NH.

He has a geeky, rather young staff, except for the one guy in charge. Everyone was dressed in black as usual, huddled in the kitchen texting & cracking inside jokes. Apparently, other NH big-wigs were there, like Arnie, but I never saw any of them.

More photos will be uploaded tomorrow after I figure out how to get rid of red-eye. Kids are climbing on me so I can't go into more detail 'til later. I'm surprised I got this far.

:) Exhausted and very Happy...PMD, SLW, ACD, and GWD! Oh, and A&G are for now supporting JRE because he has the best toys!