Monday, October 13, 2008

I Can't Handle The Truth

After that last post went up on Friday, my day went downhill fast.  What I thought was going to be a lovely lunch with a friend and colleague was the culprit.  And by the start of the long weekend, I was ready for the therapist's couch.  My friend is a McCain-Palin supporter.  And not just a supporter, a volunteer/canvasser/viz worker!

He's a PhD scientist who is months away from retiring, if there's anything left in his account. We've been good friends for eight years.  We bonded over the Bush administration's disdain for scientific evidence and research.  I still love him.  But I just don't understand.  

I'm starting to take this election too personally.

In past elections, I have always been able to keep friendships with people who vote differently with me, especially students--I just LOVE that they VOTE and are engaged!  I even liked McCain, back in 2000, when he was really a Maverick.  

But for me, the difference this time is when it's people I know and respect and love, and who know and respect me.  People who I've "let in" to my life.  If you are just a colleague or acquaintance, I wish you a fair & happy election, may the best candidate win.  If you are someone that I have become closer to on a personal level, I feel betrayed.  

The McCain-Palin ticket represents values diametrically opposed to everything I am and everything believe in, especially the Palin part of that ticket.  I am a lesbian, and an atheist, after all.  I am pro-science, pro-environment, pro-choice (not necessarily pro-abortion), and pro-evolution.  I can't even begin to name all the issues where Sarah & I don't agree.  ("Don't agree" is an understatement, of course.)  She makes my blood boil.  

Here's why I need the therapy: I see a trusted friend's vote for McCain-Palin as a sign the close friend/voter lied to me.  "Sorry, I was just being polite to your face.  I don't believe you should be able to marry or have kids or adopt.  I don't believe in the Scientific Method or the Theory of Evolution.  Drill Baby, Drill!"

So I'm thinking of not going to see Sarah in person on Wednesday in Dover.  Do I really want to be in a crowd that hates me so much? What if I see people in the crowd I know, cheering enthusiastically for the Palin-McCain Administration?  Do I need so much negativity in my life?

I've always had close friends with whom I do not agree or have common values, especially religious ones.  I'm fascinated with how they interpret their religion's texts or teachings, and how those values are put into action, in a rather sociological kind of way.  But when religious and cultural intolerance is used as a tool of hatred, or spreading misinformation, I draw the line.  
_____________________________________________
Maybe, what I really need is for this election to be over already.