Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Lit & Chum Report, Two Weeks Left

If you've been reading FRS for a while, then you know I have an odd fascination (OK, obsession) with campaign signs and chum.  I collect it, and am a sucker for it.  The more unique, the better.  My office holds most of my collection, but a few items are immortalized in the walls of my home.  Gore, Kerry, Edwards, Clinton, and Obama stickers are saved for posterity under the drywall of my quaint little home.

And, you may also recall that I am registered as Undeclared in New Hampshire.  Most people hate the campaign junk mail, but I like it and remain undeclared just so I can get it.  I like to see how the different teams use their resources, how they try to woo the much fought-over independent vote of the Granite State.  So, here's the update on my chum collection and the state of my mailbox.

Chum:  The Obama campaign is a Chum Collector's Dream.  OMG!  Just walking into the new Durham Coordinated Campaign office makes me salivate.  I'm ready to knock down a wall just to add more hidden stuff inside!  Stickers, mostly of non-standard sizes and shaped, in every color, are everywhere.  Wicked cool, full-size posters with coordinated GOTV messages are there, ready to don the walls of your dorm room or apartment (or play room as the case may be).  What all this says to me, is that the campaign has lots of money, and is not afraid to spend it.  (Did the dems finally learn that it's not good to have money left over at the end of a presidential
 campaign?) I especially love the non-
standard shapes/sizes; they are just that much more expensive to produce, making them that much cooler.  And what I really love about the collection is the graphic theme running through it all.  The Obama branding is pure gold; a marketeers dream, executed with brilliance.  

Lit:  This is a bit scarier.  I am getting many full-color scare-o-grams, telling me that Rep. Carol Shea-Porter will insure illegal aliens and Gov. Jeanne Shaheen is personally responsible for NH's high school drop out rate.  The photos are digitized or colorized to make them creepy.  The fear factor is disgusting.  There's no positive Sununu or Bradley message, probably because neither candidate has one.  Curiously, I haven't gotten any snail mail for McCain/Palin.  I am not complaining, I just find it curious.  Actually, I'm not getting any Obama/Biden mail either, but print stuff does keep appearing thanks to those ubiquitous Saturday canvassers (and, yes, there was a line outside the Dover NHDP office last week, with volunteer waiting to sign in!)

For the rest of the campaign--only two weeks left!!--I am gathering as much chum & lit as I can, to be turned into decorations for my party (assuming it's rated "G," and some of it is certainly not!).  Who needs the party store when I have so much good stuff to choose from!