Monday, October 20, 2008

Let's Get The Party Started, II

With this Politico article recently, my thoughts are turning to Election Day plans and my Quadrennial Election Night Party!  I've held one every presidential election since 1992, which featured Hillary's Chocolate Chip cookie recipe and an oh-so-modern connection to the internet via Prodigy! One can only hope that this year, the party doesn't go as late into the night as it did in 2000.

So, now, what to serve? My pal and fellow junkie, Colleen is attempting the Baked Alaska (I am calling it Baked Alaskan, myself).  I will repeat my USA Jello mould, and instead of doing red/white/blue layers, this time I've got all Wild Berry Blue. 

I have my electoral map ready, and am working on quiz questions and prizes.  The kids have picked out their patriotic outfits and can't wait to don the crowns I found. I also went to the party supply and grocery stores this weekend to stock up on supplies.  Believe it or not, I could not find "marble" cake!  Has it gone out of fashion?  I'm going to have to mix chocolate and white cake mixes myself for the biracial effect.  But I did get Oreos!!  What else?  Another colleague & I brainstormed on a napkin at lunch last week (results below), but we'd love to hear your contributions, even if you can't attend. 
  • Hawaiian Punch (spiked of course)
  • Alaskan Crab Dip
  • Uno's Chicago Pizza, Hawaiian toppings
  • Budweiser (Cindy's family owns distributor)
  • Navy Bean Dip
  • Arizona Ice Tea
  • Kenyan or Indonesian Food 
It's looking more like a luau with a patriotic twist (or vise versa).  

Now, it's your turn...you are not committed to making or bringing your suggestion. But if you do come, remember that it is a very partisan event.  And no Nader voters, please.  And, theme-related dress is encouraged!