Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Positive Reframe

Ah, the planets aligned themselves in an effort to get me out of that funk.

First, I must thank my dear friends and colleagues who provided the figurative therapist's couches, and let me vent/process my feeling in an appropriate and legal fashion.  And to whomever gave my partner the recipe for that Cosmo cocktail, I am eternally grateful.  A run threw a local corn maze with the family certainly didn't hurt, either. 

Next of course, my gratitude goes to the most disciplined and positive campaign on earth: Team Obama.  A local field organizer responded to my inquiry about "counter viz" for the Palin event in Dover, with a gentle "thanks, but no thanks."  Of course, they would rather focus on the positive and put their staff and volunteers to work for positive change.  (As an aside, check out this new cool tool!)  Man, this huge staff is disciplined, innovative, focused, and absolutely unflappable.  No matter what side you are on, you gotta admit that Obama has run a flawless campaign for nearly two years.  So big, so focused, so on-message, so technologically superior! An extra tip of the hat to THAT ONE himself, for demonstrating how to stay positive and more mature himself in Ohio by putting firm brakes on booing McCain with "Now, we don't need that...we just need to VOTE!."

Thirdly, UNH Students for Obama chimed in to cheer me up with news about a new Durham/UNH field office, AND an Obama visit to NH on Thursday.  If I can't go myself, I will send my minivan full of those students who are working so hard.

And the absolute icing on my new cake is that I will still be co-sponsoring the UNH Debate Watch Event Wednesday evening, and hopefully will be dining with some of the guest analysts beforehand.  Be still my political-junkie heart!!

So, as much as I've always prided myself on seeing all candidates of all stripes, I'm going to use my time off a bit more productively, and skip seeing Palin on Wednesday morning.  

Thanks but no thanks on THAT bridge to nowhere! 


(PS: as much as I hate that the word "Palin" keeps coming up in my spellcheck, I refuse to add it to my dictionary!  So, there.)